Welcome to Jim Corbett National Park, a breathtaking natural paradise located in the northern state of Uttarakhand, India. If you’re planning a visit, you’re in for an unforgettable adventure amidst the beauty of Mother Nature.
Jim Corbett National Park is renowned for its diverse wildlife, lush forests, and the chance to spot the majestic Bengal tiger in its natural habitat. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast, wildlife lover, or just seeking a tranquil escape, this park has something to offer everyone.
Here are some essential travel tips to make your trip enjoyable and hassle-free.
Jim Corbett National Park: A Wildlife Haven and Its Storied Legacy
Jim Corbett National Park, established in 1936, holds a special place in the heart of nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers alike. This protected sanctuary was originally created to safeguard the endangered Bengal tiger, and over the years, it has evolved into a symbol of India’s commitment to preserving its rich biodiversity.
Every year, more than 70,000 tourists flock to this renowned national park, seeking to witness the magic of the wild up close. Jim Corbett’s flagship species, including the majestic Bengal tiger, the Asian elephant, and the great one-horned rhinoceros, make it a haven for wildlife enthusiasts. Here, you have the rare opportunity to easily spot the elusive royal Bengal tigers and the one-horned rhinoceros, both of which are iconic and elusive creatures in India’s diverse landscape.
Jim Corbett National Park has also made its mark in the world of cinema. In 2005, the park served as the backdrop for the Bollywood movie ‘Kaal,’ further enhancing its fame. Notably, in 2019, the park gained international attention when Bear Grylls hosted an episode of ‘Man vs. Wild’ with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, showcasing the park’s incredible natural beauty and the importance of wildlife conservation on a global scale.
With its storied legacy and incredible wildlife, Jim Corbett National Park continues to captivate visitors, offering them a chance to connect with nature and witness some of India’s most iconic and endangered species in their natural habitat.
How to Easily Reach Jim Corbett National Park
Getting to Jim Corbett National Park is relatively straightforward. It’s located in Uttarakhand, close to Nainital city. If you’re coming from India’s capital, Delhi, it’s just about 260 km away, and the roads leading to the park are in good condition. The road trip from Delhi to Jim Corbett National Park takes approximately 5 hours, making it a convenient option, especially for international travelers who often arrive in Delhi.
If you prefer traveling by train, the nearest railway station to the park is Ram Nagar. Ram Nagar is well-connected to major cities like Nainital, Delhi, and Bareilly. It’s just 15 km away from the national park, making it a convenient choice for train travelers.
For those who prefer flying, the nearest airport is in Dehradun, the capital of Uttarakhand, which is about 160 km from Jim Corbett National Park. While it’s a bit farther, it’s still a viable option for reaching the park, especially if you’re flying from other parts of India or internationally.
10 Best Travel Tips for Jim Corbett National Park
By following these travel tips, you can enhance your experience while ensuring the conservation of Jim Corbett National Park’s rich biodiversity.
- Plan Ahead: Make your travel and accommodation bookings well in advance, especially during the peak tourist seasons.
- Entry Permits: Ensure you have the required permits and IDs for entry into the park. These can often be arranged online in advance.
- Safari Booking: Book your safari (jeep or canter) in advance to secure your preferred timing and zone.
- Timing is Key: Go for the early morning or late afternoon safaris, as wildlife is more active during these times.
- Pack Light: Carry only essential items. Light, neutral-colored clothing and comfortable shoes are recommended.
- Binoculars and Camera: Bring binoculars for bird watching and a good camera for wildlife photography.
- Guide Assistance: Consider hiring an experienced guide for a better chance at spotting wildlife and gaining insights into the park’s ecology.
- Respect Wildlife: Maintain a respectful distance from animals, and never disturb or feed them.
- Safety Precautions: Follow safety guidelines provided by park authorities, such as staying in your vehicle during safaris.
- Environmental Responsibility: Help protect the park’s natural beauty by disposing of trash properly and respecting the environment.
20 best Things To Do in Jim Corbett
Here are 20 of the best things to do in Jim Corbett National Park:
- Jeep Safari: Explore the wilderness of Jim Corbett on a thrilling jeep safari.
- Elephant Safari: Enjoy a unique perspective of the park’s wildlife on an elephant safari.
- Canter Safari: Take a canter safari for a larger group wildlife experience.
- Tiger Spotting: Try to spot the majestic Bengal Tiger in its natural habitat.
- Bird Watching: Jim Corbett is a paradise for bird enthusiasts; don’t forget your binoculars.
- Nature Walks: Take guided nature walks to explore the flora and fauna up close.
- River Rafting: Enjoy the exhilarating experience of river rafting in the nearby rivers.
- Fishing: Go fishing in the Ramganga River.
- Corbett Waterfall: Visit the beautiful Corbett Waterfall for a refreshing dip.
- Garjiya Devi Temple: Pay a visit to this ancient temple located on the banks of the Kosi River.
- Museum Visit: Explore the Corbett Museum to learn about the park’s history.
- Wildlife Photography: Capture the incredible wildlife and landscapes with your camera.
- Adventure Activities: Engage in activities like rock climbing, rappelling, and river crossing.
- Village Tours: Experience local culture with village tours and interact with the communities.
- Dhikala Visit: Stay at the Dhikala Forest Lodge for an immersive experience.
- Jungle Camping: Camp under the stars and experience the sounds of the jungle at night.
- Stargazing: The clear night skies offer excellent stargazing opportunities.
- Sunset Views: Watch the sunset over the picturesque landscapes of Jim Corbett.
- Relax by the River: Spend leisurely hours by the riverbanks, enjoying the serene surroundings.
- Kosi River Safari: Take a boat safari on the Kosi River to spot wildlife from a different perspective.
Remember to respect the park’s rules and guidelines to ensure the safety of both visitors and wildlife during your visit.
Types of Safaris Available At Jim Corbett
Safaris at Jim Corbett National Park offer an exhilarating opportunity to explore the wilderness and observe the park’s diverse wildlife in their natural habitat. There are several types of safaris available to cater to different preferences and interests:
This is the most popular and common safari option. A jeep safari allows you to venture deep into the park with a naturalist guide. It provides a comfortable and close-up view of the wildlife, including the elusive Bengal tiger, various deer species, wild elephants, and numerous bird species. Jeep safaris are available in different zones of the park.
Price (Indian): INR 4499 per safari
Inclusive: Permit, 4X4 Jeep, and Taxes
Maximum Capacity: Up to 6 Persons & 2 Children (between 5 to 12 years)
- Morning: 6:30 AM – 10:00 AM
- Evening: 1:30 PM – 5:00 PM
- Please note that safari timings may vary with changing seasons.
For a unique and thrilling experience, you can opt for an elephant safari. Riding on the back of these gentle giants allows you to access areas that are inaccessible by jeep. This safari is particularly great for tiger tracking and birdwatching.
Price (Indian & Foreigner): ₹3,500 per elephant
Maximum Capacity per Elephant: Up to 4 persons are allowed in one elephant.
Available Zones: Sitabani (Corbett Landscape) & Dhikala
- Morning: 6:00 AM – 8:00 AM
- Evening: 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Canter safaris are larger vehicles that accommodate more passengers. They are an excellent choice for group tours or travelers on a budget. Canter safaris also cover different zones of the park and provide an opportunity to spot wildlife.
Price (Indian): INR 1600 per person
Price (Foreigner): INR 3000 per person
Seating Capacity per Canter: Each Canter has 16 seats available.
- Morning: 6:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Evening: 12:00 PM – 5:30 PM
Dhikala Canter Safari
Dhikala is a famous zone within the park, known for its high tiger population. Dhikala canter safaris take you to this prime tiger territory, where you can witness the stunning landscapes and wildlife.
INR 1600 per seat for Indian visitors
INR 3500 per seat for foreign visitors
Winter Timings (15th Nov to 15th June):
Morning Safari: 06:55 AM to 12:00 PM with exit at 12:00 PM
Afternoon Safari: 12:25 PM to 05:30 PM with exit at 05:30 PM
Summer Timings (15th Nov to 15th June):
Morning Safari: 05:45 AM to 11:00 AM with exit at 11:00 AM
Afternoon Safari: 11:45 AM to 05:00 PM with exit at 05:00 PM
Dhikala Canter Safari operates only from 15th Nov to 15th June each year.
It remains closed during the rainy season for the safety and comfort of visitors.
Jim Corbett National Park is crisscrossed by several rivers. A river safari offers a unique perspective as you glide along the waterways. You can spot crocodiles, gharials, and a variety of birds during this adventure.
Bird Watching: If you’re an avid birdwatcher, Jim Corbett is a paradise. Join a dedicated bird-watching safari to witness numerous avian species, including the resplendent peacock and hornbills.
Nature Walks: Some zones offer guided nature walks, where you can explore the park on foot. These walks are excellent for learning about the flora and fauna in detail.
Remember to follow the rules and regulations during your safari to minimize disturbance to the wildlife and ensure your safety. Each type of safari offers a unique perspective, so consider your interests and preferences when choosing your Jim Corbett adventure.
How to Book a Safari at Jim Corbett National Park
Here’s the information on how to book a safari at Jim Corbett National Park presented in a unique pointer format:
Preferred Booking Method: Online booking is the recommended option.
- It’s advisable to book your safari in advance.
- Utilize the assistance of travel agents, hotels, or visit the official online booking website.
Requirements for Online Booking:
- Valid ID Proof: Passport, Driving License, Pan Card, Aadhar Card, etc.
- Fill out an online form with details like full name, age, and ID numbers.
- The same ID proof must be presented at the park entry.
Canter Safari Information:
- Canters do not offer pickup services.
- Tourists need to reach designated points to join the canter safari.
- Safari charges are non-refundable.
Safari Vehicle Options:
- Canters are available at specific park points like Ram Nagar or Dhangri Gate.
- Jeep safaris and elephant safaris can be hired from various locations as well.
Best Zone for Tiger Spotting in Jim Corbett National Park
In Jim Corbett National Park, the Bijrani Zone is often considered one of the best zones for spotting tigers. This zone has a good population of Bengal Tigers and offers a higher probability of tiger sightings compared to some other zones.
However, it’s important to note that tiger sightings in any national park are never guaranteed as these majestic animals are wild and roam freely in their natural habitat. To increase your chances of spotting tigers, it’s advisable to go on multiple safaris, preferably during the early morning and late afternoon when tigers are more active, and to hire an experienced guide who knows the park well.
Exceptional Accommodation in Jim Corbett
Discover a remarkable stay experience at our establishment in Jim Corbett, proudly presented by Vedikant Hospitality. Our distinctive design incorporates carefully curated elements, including elegant rugs, artistic dream catchers, and intriguing hanging textiles, creating an ambiance that perfectly encapsulates the essence of this remarkable destination.
Our property seamlessly marries various design styles—infused with a hint of rustic charm, a touch of colonial elegance, and a sprinkle of tribal influence. This harmonious fusion of styles ensures that your stay with us is nothing short of extraordinary.
Also Read: Top 10 Resorts in Jim Corbett